Sunday, November 24, 2013

The biggest challenges.


This year has sure been all about challenges...

On 31.12.2012, my status update was: "Happy New Year! Rock on for 2013! I have a feeling it's gonna be an awesome year!" Little did I know back then...  

I had felt a bit down earlier this week and I went to see my second family in Kokkola, which includes my goddaughter Kristiina. When leaving, she told me "halitaan", that is "let's hug". And at that moment, I realized how stupid I was for feeling sad - everything is actually just fine. Its pointless to focus on small worries and people who don't care for you. Bright up, sunshine.

And, I have already written loads and loads about what has happened during this year (that is, a fair amount on the personal level). But there is also a lot I can be proud of at the professional level... 

I had been working on a project since January. I was quite stressed about it and wanted it to work out perfectly. It was a seminar for 70 + students and their teachers, from our partner universities around Europe. They were staying for a week at Pietarsaari. I wasn't so much in charge of the content - but of the practical aspect and that everything flowed well...

It just ended and all in all, it went well. And that feels amazing. I met fantastic people, I enjoyed myself doing my job, I felt like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. It was the biggest ego, professional, you-name-it boost I needed without really it knowing.

I gave a mini-speech to the students at the closing ceremony, telling (reminding?)them that they should travel the world and find their own place. I also told them that "
sometimes, the biggest challenges turn out to be the most rewarding." - I mainly said it out loud to myself, because this week turned out the best "surprise" I didn't expect.

 In reply, the students cheered, clapped and whistled and I, ...  I felt the happiest.

Now, I am tired but happy and sort of ready for the coming challenges... :-)

A month to go till Christmas, not sure if its going to be in Finland or France, at least I can start preparing my Christmas cards!







No comments:

Post a Comment